The Stock Exchange of Thailand has established the Securities Investor Protection Fund (SIPF) in cooperation with a number of brokers who have voluntarily joined the fund. The fund’s purpose is to create confidence among SET investors who trade securities through SIPF-member brokers by protecting their investments; investors trading through SIPF members can receive compensation from the fund in certain circumstances as outlined below.
Terms of Coverage
Investors are entitled to receive compensation from SIPF either in cash or securities if SIPF-member brokers fail to return assets in their custody to investors in the following two situations:
- If an SIPF-member broker is adjudicated insolvent.
- If an SIPF-member broker and investor have a civil dispute with regard to securities trading, and the arbitration verdict requires the broker to return the investor's property, but the broker fails to comply.
The fund will pay compensation based on actual damages to each investor, but not exceeding THB1 million per SIPF-member broker.
The fund provides protection to investors automatically once an investor opens a trading account with an SIPF-member broker. Investors do not need to sign up or pay fees. Coverage remains in effect as long as the broker continues SIPF membership.
Requesting Protection CoverageIf it occurs that an SIPF-member broker fails to return an investor's assets as per a court order, or a member broker fails to comply with arbitration requiring the return of an investor's property, investors can submit an application for protection coverage along with supporting documents to the member company and to the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Investors can be confident in the fund's transparency and fairness because coverage is provided through SET.
1. Regulations — Re: Protection for Securities Investors (Update Nov 11, 2013)
2. Regulations — Re: Membership of the Securities Investor Protection Fund (Update Nov 11, 2013)
3. Regulations — Re: Use of Logo of the Securities Investor Protection Fund
SIPF protects only those investors who are customers of fund members, so investors should examine the list of fund members or make sure their broker displays the SIPF logo.
Investors may make further inquiries at a SIPF-member broker or at the
SET Contact Center:
+662 009 9999